Assam Rifles trooper accused of sexual harassment

The wife of an Assam Rifles trooper Tuesday accused another paramilitary personnel of sexually harassing and blackmailing her, and higher officials of the force of putting pressure on her not to highlight the case.

Dan Singh Negi, a rifleman of the 40th Assam Rifles Battalion, was accused of sexually harassing the mother of two over phone for the past four months.

"I have filed a complaint against Negi about how he has been sexually harassing me over the phone for the past four months, but the officers advised me not to take the matter forward as it would bring bad reputation to me and my family," the woman told journalists.

"When I took up the matter with the higher-up of Assam Rifles, instead of listening about my sufferings, the officials asked me unpleasant questions," she said.

Negi rubbished the accusations levelled against him, and said: "It's not true. I have never done anything wrong. I have never said those things that are being alleged against me."

The woman said she wants the Assam Rifles to conduct a thorough probe against Negi.

The Assam Rifles, however, denied the allegations, saying the woman was yet to file a complaint with the paramilitary force.

"We request her to do so and after that an investigation would be conducted. If anyone is found guilty, strict action would be taken," Assam Rifles spokesman Sunil Rawat told IANS over phone.

The Assam Rifles has 46 battalions, 15 of which are deployed along the 1,643-km unfenced India-Myanmar border.